Author: Gauri Kshirsagar
Kids love cake, no doubt about that, but cake also contains maida (refined flour) and sugar. Maida is the refined wheat flour minus all the nutrients normally present in wheat. Maida has 100% carbohydrate and contains almost no natural minerals and vitamins. Here is a recipe made from whole grain wheat and jaggery, which is not only yummy but very easy to make
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup powdered jaggery (organic)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of heavy milk cream or malai
- Sift flour with baking soda and baking powder.
- In a cup of milk add the jaggery and allow it to dissolve and then strain.
- Add oil, essence, cream and milk in the flour. Stir well so that no lumps remain.
- Grease the cake pan with butter and dust it. Pour in the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 Deg C for about 25-30 mins.
Side effects of maida (refined flour):
It’s important to realize that when food is refined, vital nutrients are destroyed. In some cases it’s questionable whether what remains is even fit to be considered food. In terms of bread, once you remove the most nutritious part of the grain, it essentially becomes a form of sugar.
Consider what gets lost in the refining process:
|1.||Half of the beneficial unsaturated fatty acids|
|2.||Virtually all of the vitamin E|
|3.||50 percent of the calcium|
|4.||80 percent of the iron|
|5.||50-80 percent of the B vitamins|
|6.||70 percent of the phosphorus|
|7.||98 percent of the magnesium|
|8.||And many more nutrients are destroyed — simply too many to list|
Harmful effects of refined flour on health:
The end result of the excessive consumption of white bread and other processed forms of grain products can be seen all around you in the form of:
- Heart disease
- Allergies and asthma
- Gluten intolerance and Celiac disease
- Vitamin deficiencies and related health problems
For the side effects of sugar in kids and the benefits of jaggery over sugar, do read my post “Jaggery versus Sugar : Why is Jaggery better than Sugar in baby’s diet”
*Thanks a lot for visiting my blog. Please do ‘★ LIKE’ the post if you found it to be useful.Your comments, suggestions, criticism and all opinions are very much appreciated. Please do write your queries in the Reply/comments section and I will try to get back to you asap.