Author: Gauri Kshirsagar
If you are a breastfeeding mom, you may be wondering if there are any foods that can improve your milk supply. In fact, you’ll need about 300 more calories (2,000-2,300 calories total) per day than in the last trimester of your pregnancy in the form of three balanced meals and some light snacks throughout the day. Foods with lactation-promoting properties are called lactogenic foods or galactagogues. You can read more about galactogoues in my article ‘Galactogoues: Herbal foods in mother’s diet to enhance lactation’. Adding lactogenic foods to your diet, along with frequent nursing or pumping can give your milk supply a boost. To know more about the mechanism of latation and how you can increase breast milk production do refer my article ‘Understanding the mechanism of Lactation and how to increase production of breast milk.’
Following is a dish which consists of two important galactogoues – fenugreek and brown rice, in addition it also contains jaggery and coconut which are high on calorie content and having this dish on a daily basis will give the milk supply a boost. Try it out today!
(For 1 serving)
- 1 tsp Methi/Fenugreek seeds
- ½ cup Brown Rice
- 2 heaped tbsp of Dark jaggery
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 pinch salt
- Wash and Soak the Rice and fenugreek seeds for atleast 1 hour in 1 cup of water cooled boiled water
- To make the coconut milk, in about 1 bowl of coconut add 250 ml of water and grind it in a food processor. Drain it to get 250ml of thick coconut milk.
- Cook the soaked rice and fenugreek seeds in the same amount of water in a cooker (1 whistle will suffice)
- Cook it again on low flame for 4 minute with the lid of the cooker on
- Add Jaggery, let it melt in the mixture.
- Add Salt
- Add coconut milk, do not boil after adding the coconut milk.
- Serve hot.
*Thanks a lot for visiting my blog. Please do ‘★ LIKE’ the post if you found it to be useful.Your comments, suggestions, criticism and all opinions are very much appreciated. Please do write your queries in the Reply/comments section and I will try to get back to you asap.